Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Waseda’s 3 ceremonies in a row: GITS commencement, Waseda Entrance Ceremony, and GITS Entrance Ceremony.

Waseda University known as one of the best private universities in Japan has celebrated 3 ceremonies in a row. Sep 20th, 2008 was the Graduate School of Global Information and Telecommunication Studies Commencement on which three Cambodian Students: Mr. Sun Socheat, Ms. Run Kunthy, and Ms. Ouk Phavy have successfully completed their Master degree in the field of ICT. As Socheat and Phavy got JDS scholarship, it is time for them to return to Cambodia to utilize their knowledge and skills acquired in Japan to develop our mother country, while Kunthy, a Monbusho scholar, will pursue her ph.D degree in Japan.

Bong Bong, Congratulations!!! You have not tried for nothing! At last, you are qualified Master degree holders!

(from left to right: me, Phavy, Kunthy, Phanou, Socheat, Dara, Samphors, Channa)

On the following day Sep 21st, there was a Waseda Entrance Ceremony for all new Waseda's students. Deans of all Graduate Schools were introduced.. Look at their official dresses on this special day!
Sep 22nd, the last Entrance Ceremony specifically for GITS students hold at Honjo Campus where students studying Computer Network or Multi Media base at. For students who choose Info-Telecom, Socio-Economics, Network Bussiness and Policy area will stay in Tokyo because most subjects they are going to take are lectured in Nishi-Waseda campus.

However, no matter where students locate, they can still attend academic guidance via a distance learning system through which students at another campus can see, hear, and ask questions as if we are in the same classroom.

See! ICT makes our life easier, you don't have to waste time and money travelling back and forth :-)


(Honjo Campus)
(Nishi-Waseda Campus)

6 comments:

Keith Socheath Chea said...

Congratulation, Bros & Sis!

Top 200 universities around the world: http://www.focalframe.com/sample/universities.pdf

Data collected/ranked by The Times Higher magazine, a British magazine.
--------------------------------

Per Capita income around the world: https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html

To see Per Capita income of a particular country, select the country from the list, then click the Economic link and scroll down until you see Per Capita.

Data collected/compiled by the Central Intelligence Agency.

Phalla said...

I would just like to say Congratulation to all graduates!

Hey Kakada! Nice post with photoes :))

Life in Japan said...

@Trotter: Thanks for the links, but no Waseda in your link because it is only well-known in Japan, not world's top :-)

As my course started, related to Per Capita income of Japan, I will ask my sensei (prof.) for sure.

@Phalla: Thanks for ur comments

Keith Socheath Chea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith Socheath Chea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Keith Socheath Chea said...

Carl Jung's assessment on people personality is certainly true that we are all not exactly identical. Some like being humble, while others like being extravagant. Personally, I hate to tell others about myself (what school I came from, what major I studied, etc), but let me just break that habit today :)

Well, it happens that my school is in the list :) And it happens that it isn't too far down the list -- my school is listed somewhere in between 1 to 50 :) Does it make me proud of it? No, it doesn't because I haven't invented anything since I got out of school :)

Since Alfred Nobel awarded the first Nobel Prize medals in 1901, there have been six Nobel prize laureates coming from my school :) Does it make me proud of that? No, it doesn't, because I'm not a Nobel prize winner :)

My school system has five campuses. And if all these five campuses combined into one, it is as large as Ohio State University. To see how large Ohio State University is, click this link (http://www.osu.edu/map/) and when you get there, click any where on the map.

In school, your stand counts on what school you are going and how high your GPA is. In a workforce, your stand counts on what company you are working and how "thick" your wallet is :)

Most of my colleagues here at work graduated from top U.S schools with science/engineering degrees, two of us have PhD, the rest have Masters and none of us ever brag about our schools or education background. See how humble we are :)

It seems that you're very proud being in grad school. And I'm glad that you take pride on education, because it does give you some motivation to study harder :)

I'm sorry that I keep deleting my message because I'm thinking whether I should post this "braggy" message or not :) I think I should. I guess it doesn't hurt to brag for one day :)

I've always wanted to visit Japan. Maybe I should come over to visit Waseda (a well-known private university of Japan :)) and meet up with you, a Master's degree student :)