Sunday, September 21, 2008

Preparatory Japanese Language Training

Following the long orientation was Japanese Training Course conducted at Waseda Hoshien. All Cambodian fellows in Tokyo took 初級 (elementary) course with some other students from Laos, Myanmar, The philippines, and Kyrgyzstan. For me, my course was from July 18th to August 29th, 2008 which is equal to 152 hours. I ‘d been studying every Monday to Friday, and five hours per day: 9:30am -12:00am, and 1:30pm – 4:00pm.

Japanese language is quite difficult to learn, but it is very important for surving in Japan espcially in Tokyo. Hence, the class was very busy due to overloaded homework everyday. However, the class was very interesting thanks to the professional skill and efforts of all sensei.せんせい、いろいろ おせわに なりました。どうも ありがとう ございました。

I was finally given a Japanese certificate:




Honestly, my Japanese is still poor, I still cannot full understand what Japanese people are saying. It’s pretty easier to ask question, but getting answer is a matter :-)

11 comments:

Keith Socheath Chea said...

Congratulation to your Japanese certificate. Foreign languages aren't easy to learn, it takes years to master. When I first arrived to the States, I spoke broken English. My first year in the States, I had very few friends and none of them were native English speakers. So I thought the best, perhaps, the quickest way to learn English is to have friends whose English is their native language. But it wasn't easy either to make friends with native English speakers. Although later on I did have friends whose English is their native language, I realized that it was not the English language that I couldn't make friends with them, but it was the culture differences that they couldn't make friend with me :)

sreynethseng said...

Congratulation dear!!! keep going :)

sreynethseng said...

Plz don't surprise to see my comment here he he he ;)

Life in Japan said...

I can imagine how your hard situation was! However, It's been quite long time enough that you have overcomed your hard time. Though cultural diversities make you difficult for the first time, but as the time goes by, you can gradually get used to the new environment. " When in Rome, do as the Romans do", and remember one quote "Winners never quit and quitters never win".

Life in Japan said...

Neth, it doesnt' surprise me that you could find me in this cyberspace :-)

Keith Socheath Chea said...

It just pops up in my head when you mentioned about Rome. During the ancient Greece, the term "Hellenistic" was used. And when the Romans took over, the term "Romanization" was used. The term "do as the Romans do" can be said shortly as "When in Rome", like what we would say in Khmer "Jol Steung Tambot" is a short way of saying "Jol Steung Tambot, Jol Srok Tam Bro'tess" -- hope you can read my Latin Khmer :)

Trust me, it takes just as long to adapt with the new culture as to learn the language. How quick one can adapt with the new culture is depending on many factors: age, ability, culture similarity, etc. It is quite normal that younger ages can expose to the new culture faster than older ages. Likewise, adjusting to Thai culture is probably faster than adjusting to Italian culture -- this is known as culture similarity.

Borort said...

Good job da.. move on!

Life in Japan said...

Borortさん、 こんにちは。

おげんきですか。

わたしの にほんごの クラスは おわりましたね。GITS 大学院は 9月22日に 開始.英語で 勉強します。

Life in Japan said...

Socheath, I can read ur transliteration. Thanks for sharing...

And yeah..I couldn't agree with you more on the topic "New culture adaptation". However,I don't say which culture is good and which one is bad; each has its own value, but we should pick up only some points we think they are good.

Borort said...

恋しい, こんにちは。わたし は げんきです。Hope you are fine too. Anyway, time is flyig so fast, now that u have already finished your Japanese class and start your research.

がんばってください
mata sugu aimashou some days..

Life in Japan said...

Borrot, complete your Master at AIT, and pursue your Ph.D in Japan :-)

日本で あいましょ。
がんばってね。